Acid re can be a reason for eating spicy, acidic, fatty foods, or eating too much and too quickly. But the good news is it is easy to combat altogether.
Causes of Acid Reflux –
Heartburn occurs when the sphincter allows the contents of your stomach to flow back into the esophagus, causing a burning pain behind the breastbone. This is known as acid reflux.
Home Remedies for Acid Reflux –
Here is a list of some home remedies for heartburn –
- Baking soda can neutralize excess stomach acid (do not use it if you have high blood pressure). Stir 1 teaspoon (5 ml) in a glass of warm water and drink.
- Seasoning food with fennel seeds or peppermint makes it more digestible and so others heartburn.
- Drink Ginger Tea: Boil 1 ½ teaspoon (7 ml) fresh ginger or ½ teaspoon powdered ginger in 1 cup (250 ml) water for 10 minutes before drinking.
- Chew a licorice tablet before meals. This encourages mucin production in the esophagus, providing a protective barrier against stomach acids.
- Sleep with the upper body slightly elevated at night to prevent acid from entering the esophagus.
- Try a tonic: Steep 1 teaspoon (15g) each dried gentian root and dandelion root in 1 cup (250 ml) of boiling water.
Prevention for Heartburn –
- Eat sensibly, avoiding foods, drinks, and combinations that you know give you heartburn – avoid fatty or acidic foods, chocolate, or wine.
- Avoid alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine, they increase the gastric acid secretion, which can cause heartburn.
- Eat slowly and always opt for smaller, more frequent portions.
- Keep control of your weight, overweight can increase pressure in the stomach and cause acid flux and heartburn.
- Eat early in the evening and give your stomach to digest food before going to the bed.
- Drink a glass of fresh carrot juice to soothe heartburn.
Consult a Doctor –
When to consult a doctor? –
If you are a frequent victim of heartburn, then you should seek professional advice. Early heartburn can be cured with help of the above-mentioned remedies but if you are facing acid flux again and again then do not wait to go and consult with your doctor.