Constipation Lack of exercise, not eating enough fiber, or being overweight or underweight are just some of the causes of irregular bowel movements and hard, painful stools. However, harsh laxatives should not be necessary to get things moving again.
Constipation Home Remedies –
- Drink a glass of prune or elderberry juice, diluted apple cider vinegar or warm water with honey in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Alternatively, first thing each morning drink a large glass of warm water mixed with the juice of a lemon.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sea salt in 2 cups (500 ml) warm water and drink to soften stools.
- Before each meal take 1 teaspoon (5 ml) herbal bitters in water to improve general digestive function and stimulate the production of bile, the body’s laxative.
- Try a tried-and-trusted German cure. For centuries, Germans have touted the curative effects of the pickled cabbage dish, sauerkraut. In fact, sauerkraut is rich in Lactobacillus bacteria, which help to soften stools and keep intestinal flora healthy.
- Take daily stomach massage with a cold washcloth (working in a clockwise direction) to stimulate a sluggish intestine.
- Slippery elm and psyllium are bulking laxatives, substances that have the capacity to swell in the bowel, making the stool softer and easier to pass. Add 1–2 teaspoons (5–10 ml) of either or both to your morning cereal or to a smoothie.
- Consume only moderate amounts of fat and sugar, which slows the operation of the intestines.
- Take any digestion-regulating food such as fiber, such as wheat or oat bran, and flaxseed. Sprinkle them on cereal.
- Combine a high-fiber diet with ample fluid intake.
- Avoid the tannins contained in dark chocolate, cocoa, black tea, and red wine, as they disable digestive muscles. Stay away from these foods if you are prone to constipation.
- Exercise, such as a bike ride or a regular walk, is often all it takes to get a sluggish intestine going.
- Take a probiotic. Good bacteria keep things moving along nicely. Yogurt containing acidophilus may help or opt for a supplement.
- Relax and take your time. Being pressed for time on the toilet does not help.