Navasana or Naukasana is a combination of two words, Nauka = Boat and Asana = Pose. It is also known as Boat Pose. Navasana is beneficial for strength abdominal. It also helps in an arm balance.
Navasana Steps –
- Sit in Dandasana.
- Bend your knees and place your hands on your upper shins. Inhale and lengthen from the core of your pelvis up through the crown of your head.
- Draw in muscularly from your hands up to your shoulders and bring your shoulder blades onto your back behind your heart.
- Draw the low back in and up.
- Maintain all the actions from step 2. Lean your torso back and balance on your buttocks between your sitting bones and your tailbone.
- Exhale and bring your legs out straight at an upward angle while simultaneously stretching your arms forward.
- Extend from the core of your pelvis out through the inseam of your legs and up through the top of your head. Draw from your fingers up into your shoulders and bring the shoulder blades even more onto your back.
- Flex your feet, spread your toes, and press through the ball of the big toe.
- Keep your arms parallel to the floor with the palms facing inward.
- Hold for 30 to 60 seconds, or if you can without losing the form of the pose, then release.
Navasana Benefits –
Physical Benefits –
- Builds core strength.
- Improves balance, digestion, and circulation.
- Strengthens the legs, hips, groin, abdomen, and arms.
- Lengthens the spine and neck.
- Opens the chest, shoulders, and throat.
- Improves posture.
Mental Benefits –
- Improves concentration.
- Develops focus.
- Pregnancy (keep knees bent).
- Neck or low back pain/injury (keep knees bent).
- Low blood pressure.
Important Things –
- If you are finding this asana difficult and feeling any discomfort during the practice then wait for a few minutes and try again if still, you are having discomfort, then leave the pose and try another asana.
- If you are not able to practice this pose then do not push yourself too much, everyone has a different body type and every asana is not designed for everyone.
- Find the best suitable poses for yourself by considering your body requirements and issues.